http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tcR19y7GPM
But I digress.
What's so great about eating muffins? Until recently, I would have told you, "Not much." The homogenized, grossly sweet, oversized bread-y grocery store confections didn't do wonders for me. Sure, I loved the tiny banana muffins my Dad made, and I could appreciate the occasional blueberry compilation being sold at the Saturday morning swim meet refreshments stand. But beyond that, I was all Team Cupcakes.
Then the revelation came when I started hitting up my new, now favorite coffee shops. Mischa's and St. Elmo's Coffee Pub. When you go to indie coffee shops to buy frozen or iced coffee drinks and read free books on your Kindle, you need an overpriced pastry to go with it. And suddenly those oversized hunks of sugar seemed awfully appealing. And it hit me that I could try to make these same things on my own at home. And we have too many ingredients that go to waste (which could instead be mixed into muffins) and too many random bags of flour, and not enough time for breakfast to do anything other than grab a pre-made baked good and a banana.
I'm all about saving a buck, and using up leftover food so it won't go to waste. But when you factor in how you have to keep purchasing baking supplies to allow yourself to keep baking and using up those random ingredients, I don't know how much money you actually save. Maybe it costs you more. Still, I think it might be worth it to put a little extra money into the pot and eat a wider variety of homemade things.
I've got a lot of work ahead of me if I want to try all 80 recipes on this list. I just tried these whole wheat carrot/honey delectables to use the carrots sitting in our vegetable fridge drawer. While I'm starting to come over to one of my Dad's life principles, that it is always essential to add more cinnamon than a recipe calls for, I still say that these are a healthy success. Score.
No comments:
Post a Comment