Bittersweet moment tonight...In a fit of cleaning and organizing, I finally emptied out all the work papers from my fraying, dirty, falling-apart backpack and threw the bag away. I bought this backpack in Oxford (which was one of the happiest periods in my life so far). It took me to a camping-style hostel on the outskirts of Rome (not the greatest memory), a clean and extremely secure-feeling hostel smack-dab in the middle of Vienna (much better memory), and back across the pond to home (where I was initially depressed, but got over it). It helped me make weekend trips to visit friends up and down the Atlantic (happy times), and it became my means of smuggling work papers back and forth with me to my house and various coffee shops (stressful times, but productive means of making overtime pay and keeping afloat on the job).
And now it's in the trash. I used to think that the best way to honor memories and faithful beloved objects was to hold onto them forever, but now I believe that sometimes the best thing you can do is let it be what it was, and let it go. Feeling a prisoner to a shell of an object does you no favors, and in fact can hold you back from becoming more of the person that all those memories helped to shape.
Reality TV has actually taught me a thing or two. Thank you, Hoarders.
No comments:
Post a Comment